I was spoilt this evening. Hubby said he was going to cook dinner, and whilst his choice of dish didn’t particularly enthrall me to begin with (I couldn’t for the life of me relate to shrimp being coupled with feta cheese), my thoughts on that rapidly changed as the aroma wafting from the kitchen as it cooked was amazing and once I tasted it, I was definitely hooked. This is now on our list of family favorites!
I don’t know where this recipe is from originally however hubby hijacked it from his brother.
Recipe for Shrimp in Tomato and Feta Sauce
- 1 Tbspn olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 C fresh finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbspn finely chopped fresh dill
- 2/3 C crumbled feta cheese
- 3 C chopped tomatos (canned ones worked nicely)
- 1 pound raw, peeled and deveined medium sized shrimp. You can leave the tails on and if you are using frozen shrimp, thaw them before use.
- Preheat oven to 420F/215C.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onion and cook until it has softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 30-60 seconds until it becomes aromatic and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil and then turn to a low simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens a little (approx 10mins).
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir in the feta cheese, herbs, shrimp.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake approx 10-12 mins (until the shrimp are cooked through)
- Serve immediately over pasta and/or with crusty Italian bread.
Unfortunately I didn’t think to take any photos of the this during the actual prep and cooking. I try to stay out of the kitchen when hubby is cooking or he seems to get all flustered lol
We ended up having it with some lovely fresh bread that hubby picked up from our fav Greek Delicatessen over at Hicksville