We all love ice cream at our house however I find the cost can add up, especially when buying the more exotic flavours.
The difference between sherbet and sorbet, is that sherbets do generally contain some dairy or fat in them and tend to be creamy whereas sorbets are ice based.So I think we will start with and a simple recipe but a good one that most people will enjoy …
Recipe for Old Fashioned Vanilla Icecream makes 1 quart
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 C of milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 T vanilla
- 2 C whipping cream, chilled
How to Make It:**Place two bowls into the refrigerator to chill.
- Place the sugar into a heavy based saucepan.
- Sprinkle the salt over the sugar.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and stir to mix well.
- Add the egg yolks and stir to ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the pan over medium heat, cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges (be careful not to boil or scald the mixture).
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the mixture has cooled to room temp, stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a refigererator tray and pop it into the feezer until it goes mushy (around 45mins).
- Take one of the prechilled bowls from the fridge and pour in the whipping cream.
- Beat the cream with electric mixer until it begins to form soft peaks.
- Spoon the partially frozen ice cream mix into the second chilled bowl.
- Beat with the electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Fold the whipped cream into the ice cream mix.
- Evenly pour the ice cream into two refridgerator trays and cover with wax paper.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours until firm, making sure to stir the mixture roughly every 10mins for the first hour of freezing time.