I am really keen to start preserving foods via bottling, however I’m not really set up space wise at this stage to store the foods once they have been bottled. Having said that though, I do have a HUGE freezer which I like to use to my benefit with doing lots of bulk cooking and freezing.
We have all the gorgeous summer stone fruits coming into season at the moment, and I am blessed with having 2 beautiful peach trees (which I will be putting to good use)in our back garden.
This jam will keep in the freezer for up to six months and in the refrigerator for approx 3 weeks (if it doesn’t get eaten up before that!)
Recipe for Fuzzy Peachy Freezer Jam
- 3 lbs peaches
- 2 T ginger
- 5 C sugar
- 2 pkgs (1 3/4 oz) powdered pectin
- 1 C cold water
- 4 (1 pint) freezer containers with lids
- Prepare the peaches by removing the pits and peeling.
- Chop the fruit up fairly finely.
- Place the fruit into a mixing bowl and add the ginger giving it a bit of a stir.
- Slowly add the sugar to the fruit and mix until it is well combined.
- Place the water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pectin.
- Bring to the boil whilst being sure to stir continually.
- Remove from heat and add to the fruit mixture.
- Stir well for approx 4mins until it is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the 1 pint containers and cover with lids.
- Leave standing at room temperature for a full 24hrs.
- Place in freezer.
- Allow to come to room temperature for between 1-2hrs before use.
Yummmm, now you have lots of delicious jam to have on toast, or to add into bread and butter puddings, and all sorts of scrumptious treats.